Saturday, November 28, 2009

Rocks, Grass, Saplings etc


Ok, now to build up more of the natural elements in the forward landscape section. Its amazing how easy it is to make dull areas interesting.
While I painted this today I did some filming for a TV show called 'Lets Go Painting' which I'm developing and I needed to be on my Vespa riding through some low grassy type terrain as a get away moment from my outdoor easel. As I was doing this I was forced to ride over rocks and boulders and other undulations to make my ride sort of interesting and 'bouncy'! Well, during this process I was reminded of what a foreground can be and brought the experience I encountered back to the easel and this painting.

So often a moment away from a painting doing something not meant to connect to what was occupying my time earlier can feed information related to what's coming up! So the few bruises I had on my rump made me paint better rocks in the painting. And because I had good visuals of the rocks through the need to avoid them I think my painting of them was better. I made the pastry brush get to work with more deftness than I might otherwise have.


Now because I had my light entering from the right as I laid in the sky I need to mark shadows on the leeward side of the rocks. Rocks in snow are often rounded by the process of weathering but because of the change of seasons and the freezing of water in crevasses and cracks and the expansion that goes with that these cracks widen and cause mass wasting ot fragmenting-leaving sharp edges and acute angles. My shadows depict this feature yet they also show a flat and rounded surface. I suppose what I'm saying is that as artists we need to observe and try to understand the processes that cause nature to be as it is and as we see it. That way we are being true to a cause to some extent but its really a personal preference that we can choose to exercise or not. I prefer to.

Tomorrow I'll show you how I paint in that grass you see here and there-a feature that is real but important for the lovely dash of warmth it beings to an otherwise grey landscape.

0 comments:

 
footer